Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reading Rocks: Body Books

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. 
The more you learn, the more places you'll go."
— Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"


Every week I post a list of 3 books to read to your kids. Buy them, borrow them, read them cherish them, share them.

When my son turned three he started asking about bones and blood and skeletons.  Trying to find interesting books that explain how the body works in an honest (kid-friendly) way was a bit tougher than I anticipated.  Here are my top three picks for books on how the body works:


Me And My Amazing Body 
by Joan Sweeney 
I read this to my curious 3 year old.
How does the body work? This book explains the basics:
skin, skeleton, muscles, brain, blood, heart, lungs, stomach
(no "privates" in this one).




Amazing You! (Getting Smart About Your Private Parts)
by Dr. Gail Saltz
Take your little one to the next "level".
At about 4-5 years old my boys started asking me why girls don't
have penises, and what are the round things under their privates?
This is the perfect intro into the physical differences between
girls and boys (read it all or only pages that are relevant to their questions).




The Human Body - Lift The Flap and Learn 
by Pascale Hedelin and Robert Barborini
Best "all around" body book.  This is great for ages 4+.
Lift the flaps to see a baby inside the mommy,
pull the tabs to watch body parts change as you age,
touch and feel to learn about the five senses.
Not a "story" format but interactive and fun.




Do you have recommendations for books to read to kids?  Comment below and I may feature them in the weeks to come!

Stumble this post

No comments:

Post a Comment