Monday, November 26, 2012

Reading Rocks: My Fav Kid's author (for now)


"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, 
And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall."

— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory



As you are well aware by now, I LOVE kid's books.  There is something magical and nostalgic about reading a story to someone who has never heard the tale before.  As my boys have grown, I have discovered MANY MANY great authors.  For a long while my favorite children's author was Sandra Boynton.  Once my eldest turned four I discovered (quite by accident at a library book sale) the UK's Julia Donaldson.  You may know her from her bestseller The Gruffalo.  I had never heard of the Gruffalo, but I found the book Monkey Puzzle (re-named I've lost my Mom in North America) and fell in love with Julia's prose and rhythm.


Here are 3 books by Julia Donaldson that I read out loud more for myself then for my boys:


Monkey Puzzle
Little Monkey has lost him Mum.  A friendly butterfly helps him find her, 
but not before getting it wrong a few times.




Room On The Broom
By far my all-time favorite kid's book!  (as a side note, it was turned into a short stage production in Ontario). The Witch keeps losing her belongings (wand, hat, bow) only to find help from some friendly critters below.  A beautiful, fun story about friendship.



Charlie Cook's Favorite Book
It's great to get lost in a book.  Each character Charlie reads about
in his favorite book has a book of their own that they love to read.



Stumble this post

No comments:

Post a Comment