Monday, September 17, 2012

4 Kids Books Written for Parents - Because story time 'aint just for kids!

I love books. Kids books, young adult books, adult fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, ebooks, picture books, coffee table books, blank journals... you get the picture.

Something I really appreciate are kid's books that were ACTUALLY written for parents.

Here are a few books that I get a kick out of reading (my boys liked them too, but not on the same level as me):

1 - The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee

The Baby Boss holds meetings at 2am, demands his drink be made to order, and works his employees (parents) to exhaustion.  It's funny and oh so true!  This is the perfect gift for new parents.



2 - Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

This is a book that is given to moms on Mother's Day.  It reminds me of a Hallmark card. The mother sings this song to her baby and throughout his life, until one day she is too old to do so, the adult son then sings it to his mother, and eventually starts the tradition of singing it to his son. 

 

Although written by a children's author, Mr. Munsch wrote this (it's actually base on a song he wrote) after he and his wife lost 2 children.  Here is a quote from the author's official website:  "I made that up after my wife and I had two babies born dead. The song was my song to my dead babies. For a long time I had it in my head and I couldn't even sing it because every time I tried to sing it I cried."   
"I'll love you forever 
I'll like you for always 
As long as I'm living 
My baby you'll be."

It's beautiful and touching in a way only a parent can appreciate. 


3 - Jake Stays Awake by Michael Wright

I happened upon this one at the library.  It's about a boy who can't sleep in his own bed, so he waits until 10:30 every night before slipping into his (exhausted) parent's bed.  The illustrations were great - especially Jake's parent's expressions of understated exasperation.  My kids thought it was funny when Jake's toes got stuck up his parent's nose - I laughed while shaking my head in parental understanding.  



4 - Go The F**k To Sleep by Adam Mansbach
(side note: I have never read this one to my boys)  

Not written for kids at all, this book is for every parent who has kids, for each of us who live for the 2 hours between their bedtime and our bedtime.  

It's written as a parody of all the nice, rhyming bedtime stories out there.  The audio-book is even better - since it's read by Samuel L Jackson.  






I would love to hear of books you liked more than your kids.  Leave a comment and share a title! I'm always looking for my next great read...



Stumble this post

No comments:

Post a Comment